Sunday, April 26, 2015

BUS STORY # 442 (Bill Jarvis’s Bus Story # 4)

Nova LFX articulated bus, on trial with Codiac Transpo, Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada; photo by Bill Jarvis

Bill Jarvis drove a bus for 25 years in Moncton, New Brunswick. He’s shared several fine bus stories with me which have been featured in my side link, This Week’s Featured Story. I’ve saved my favorite for right here.


I stopped my bus at the United States Customs office at Houlton, Maine. After I showed my passport to the officer, he told me where to park, then came on board to instruct the passengers to go to the counter in the office. There they would show their passports and answer the routine questions one expects when crossing the border.

While the passengers were in the office, two officers with a dog searched the bus. After going through the luggage compartments, they searched the interior as I sat in the driver’s seat. One officer commented to the other, “We’re not finding any liquor or tobacco on this bus.”

“I don’t think you will,” I said. “My passengers are members of a Christian group who are going to a Gaither Brothers concert in Worcester, Massachusetts. They say grace before meals, and even say a prayer when the bus starts to move.” One officer looked me straight in the eye. “They must know who is driving!” he replied with a smile.

__________


Bill Jarvis. Photo provided by Mr. Jarvis.


__________


You can read Bill Jarvis’s other bus stories here, here, and here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home