Sunday, July 28, 2013

BUS STORY # 363 (Shorts 31)

Say the magic word... by busboy4
Say the magic word..., a photo by busboy4 on Flickr.
Guy gets on the bus, takes a seat, holds up his pass, and asks, “Anyone need a day pass?” Three hands shoot up in the air. But the person who gets the pass is the one who doesn’t raise his hand. He simply gets up and walks right over to the guy who hands it over.

***

We are just pulling away from UNMH when I catch sight of a woman some 20 yards away walking and raising her arm toward us. She’s an older woman, and striking because she’s wearing a bright red expensive-looking coat and has a head of short, nicely-styled white hair. The way she raises her arms says “Wait! Wait!” and simultaneously “I’ve missed it.” It is possible the driver hasn’t seen her. Some 20 minutes later, down at the ATC, my transfer is just getting ready to pull out when I see the same woman walk-running toward the front door. I have no idea how she’s managed to make it on time, but I find myself thinking walk-running is not something she ordinarily does. I am surprised to recognize I'm feeling gratitude her efforts have been rewarded.

***

A couple with a stroller and a toddler board first. They take the three-seater directly behind the driver and start getting settled. A few other riders board, followed by a woman pushing a stroller with one hand and holding her little girl’s hand with the other. She looks at the two-seater facing the couple who’s just settling in. There’s a rider there, a beefy guy. He’s watching her and the little girl. He’s not moving. She has trouble getting the stroller past the settling-in couple and their stroller, but she finally manages. The older guy watches her finally manage, and his eyes follow them down the aisle. Beefy, older guy. Old enough to know better. He has on a black T-shirt with white lettering: “I Need A Beer.” It’s not a beer that he needs.

***

It's back.  Again. by busboy4
It's back. Again., a photo by busboy4 on Flickr.
Looks like the city is trying once again. This is a new bus stop sign at the site of the mysteriously disappearing bus stop sign. I noticed it early this May. We’ll see how long this one lasts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Top-of-the-Arch said...

I sure like your "shorts and sweet", with moral stories, in this week bus story.
I learned that the "go-getter" get the day pass!
I learned that wearing a bright red expensive-looking coat helps you run faster. Well, that is my theory and I am sticking to it - haa haa.
"Beefy, older guy" reminds me of the time when I was on NYC subway with my friend Megan who was 7-month pregnant and a "beefy" young guy would not get up to give her his seat. I would love to give the guy a beer over his hollowed head.
Nice bus stop - hopefully the sign will stay!
Have a good week,
TOTA

1:40 PM  
Blogger Busboy said...

Thanks, TOTA. Time will tell about that sign.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home