Sunday, June 17, 2012

BUS STORY # 305 (The Last 12 Hours: Rider # 3)



"Paint," © All Rights Reserved, a photo by Jordyn Raia on Flickr.

Shortly after the little old lady with all the baggage boards, I see David Ortega again.

Or, rather, he sees me and taps me on the shoulder as he’s heading for the back of the bus.  He’s recognized me, and I have no problem remembering him.

I ask him how work is.

He’s happy.  He’s got a job tomorrow up in Santa Fe.

I ask him how he got it.

His landlord.  His customer is a lawyer, and he’s got a room or two that need painting.
  
It’s a sweet deal: David’s gonna catch the Rail Runner tomorrow morning.  The lawyer will pick him up at the station, drive him to the job.  When he’s finished, the lawyer will drive him back to the train station. 

I tell him that’s great. 

He says the Big Man is looking out for him -- at which point he makes prayer hands and looks up toward the ceiling and says “Thank you.”

By sheer coincidence, I will see him again on the same bus, but different run, tomorrow morning.  He’ll be all decked out in his painter whites, painter cap, and carrying a stepladder in one hand and a big bucket full of paint brushes and a collapsable roller pole in the other. 

He’s almost as loaded down as the baggage lady.

__________

The photo at the top of this story is titled “Paint,” © All Rights Reserved, and is posted with the kind permission of Jordan Raia.  You can see all Jordan Raia’s photos on Flickr at:  www.flickr.com/photos/neverlastsforever/



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home