Sunday, January 08, 2012

BUS STORY # 282 (Bus Songs)

RoundTuit by busboy4
RoundTuit, a photo downloaded from Wictionary by busboy4 on Flickr.

Some time ago, one of my Bus Stories-reading nieces sent me an email asking if I’d heard the song “Bus Driver” by Caedmon’s Call. I had not. So I went looking for it. 

In the process of looking for it, I discovered there were several other bus driver songs out there, and beyond that, a whole world of bus and subway and light rail songs. 

Some of them are famous, some are obscure. Some are old, some are new. They run the gamut of musical genres -- pretty much everything except classical and opera. 

It occurred to me at the time that I could add a new link to my blog: “This Week’s Featured Bus Song” to go with “This Week’s Featured Link.” And I decided I would do so just as soon as I got around to it. 

And now I have. 

I’m going to try matching the songs with the stories, either by content or by tone. Or else by tying the songs to the calendar (“Sister Rosa” by The Neville Brothers for Martin Luther King Day, for example). I realize a good match won’t always be possible, but the challenge interests me. 

Sure enough, there's a perfect bus song for this post: the children's song, "The Wheels On The Bus (Go Round And Round)." But I’m initiating the new feature today with a link to “Bus Driver” by Caedmon’s Call. This by way of thanking my niece, Mer, for giving me both a new song and a new idea. 

Please feel free to send your suggestions to busboy4@yahoo.com. 

This should be fun. 

__________ 


This public domain photo is taken from Wictionary: File:RoundTuit.jpg 


__________ 


 Thanks to MD in Brooklyn for this week's featured link: This Week In: NYC


1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Ah, Caedmon's Call...I listened to them constantly in high school, and do still, occasionally. I love this song :)

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home