Sunday, January 01, 2012

BUS STORY # 281 (New Job: Update)

Back in July, I posted a story about a co-rider who shared his excitement at finally getting a job in a fast-food restaurant. He also shared the rest of a remarkable turned-my-life-around story. You can read it here: Bus Story # 244 (New Job) 

I confess I had my doubts about just how rosy his future really was, and about how long his excitement and optimism would last. 

Several months after that encounter, I ran into him, and his wife and his baby son, on a bus on the way home. We both recognized one another, and he immediately introduced me to his wife, Brenda.* 

“And this,” he said, lifting the baby off his lap and holding him up, “is our son, Mitchell.”* 

He was beaming. Mitchell smiled. Mom smiled when Mitchell smiled. 

He told me what a happy baby he was all the time. And such a good sleeper. Well, most of the time, anyway -- and here he lifted Mitchell back up off his lap and brought him in for a kiss. 

He was wearing the same work uniform I’d seen him in after that first day at work. 

Yes, he confirmed, he’s still working there. He’s been there five months now, and he’s about to become a manager. He is as enthusiastic about this as he was five months ago after his first day on the job. 

And still going to school? 

Yes -- well, taking this semester off... 

When they leave, I watch them manage Mitchell and the stroller. There is a mutual warmth and respect in their interactions that I find remarkable and touching. 

Given everything he’s told me before, and everything I’ve just seen on this encounter, I’m surprised by the one word impression that comes to mind: Innocence. 

Later, I decide it’s more likely they have a deep appreciation for just how much better life is for them now than it was before they met one another. 

In this day and age, appreciation is almost as unusual as innocence.

 __________


 *Real name changed.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Brenda said...

Wow. Thanks for the update. It sounds like their family unit is doing very well and he is continuing to provide for them. I do hope he gets back into school. That sure makes a difference.
Happy New Year Bus Boy!

9:38 AM  
Anonymous tocino said...

Your stories are too good just to go to only friends and family. They should be in a newspaper weekly where every one can read them and you get paid.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice. BBBH

11:52 AM  
Blogger Busboy said...

@ Brenda: It was wonderful to catch the three of them after the first story. But I had the same worry you have about his deciding to lay off a semester. I, too, hope he doesn’t stop going. Happy New Year to you, too, Brenda. And thank you for all your observant and thoughtful comments.

@ tocino: Very kind words, señor! Thank you. But your suggestion reminds me of a time when I was talking to a fishing guide up in the glorious Snake River/Tetons area of Wyoming. I told him I thought he was fortunate to have a paying full-time job doing something he loved doing. I remember a rather pained look overtaking his expression before he answered, “Never turn something you love into a job.”

@ BBBH: Thank you for this and all your many supportive comments. Happy New Year.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home