Sunday, December 27, 2009

BUS STORY # 176 (Thank You, Driver)


A few weeks ago, I posted a story about boarding a bus and finding myself in the middle of a heated exchange between two old guys.

This morning, I’m riding into work when I recognize the older guy in that story boarding at one of the stops. Same old style plastic frames, same thick lenses, same enormous, magnified eyes. The woman sitting next to me – a regular – says quietly, “Uh oh, it’s Pete.”*

Of course, I am on this like a roadrunner on a whiptail lizard.

She explains Pete is a cantankerous fellow who has a tendency to provoke arguments with other riders, usually over political issues.

That explanation sheds some light on how that argument I walked in on might have gotten started.

Pete is standing by the driver, just behind the yellow line. He’s got a newspaper rolled up and stuck into the back pocket of his jeans.

My co-rider tells me our driver is familiar with Pete, and with what might happen if Pete makes it past the till and back to where the rest of us are. She tells me he purposely engages him in conversation and keeps him up close where he won’t cause any trouble on his bus.

Sure enough, the two of them are talking away. Or rather, Pete is talking away and the driver is slipping in a “uh huh” or a “yup.” Right now, I can hear Pete telling the driver about some outrage or other being perpetrated by the governor’s office.

I was already impressed with our driver’s good nature. But my admiration takes on a whole new dimension with what he’s taken on here.

Thank you, driver.
__________

*Real name changed.
__________

The photo at the top of this story is titled STAND BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE and is posted with the kind permission of Lulu Vision. You can see this and all Lulu Vision's photos on Flickr at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lulutoo/3468635980/in/photostream/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home